Happy First day of Fall!
You know what I love about fall? I love the colors, the smells and the warmth that Fall brings! I pretty much just love it all!
What better way to celebrate the first day of Fall than with a little Cleansing Fall Soup!
I found this recipe a long time ago and have been wanting to make it every since so today felt like the perfect day! Not only is completely Vegan but it is also perfect for anyone eating a Paleo diet or that doesn’t care for meat. It’s definitely for the ginger lovers but you can easily remove it from the recipe!
I will warn you, your kitchen will smell amazing so prepare yourself for a fall explosion! I immediately wanted to pull out all of my Fall decor and light my pumpkin candles the minute I began to smell this delicious soup cooking up good things!
Feel free to alter it to work best for your tastebuds! I decided to make a double batch.
CLEANSING CARROT AUTUMN SQUASH SOUP – Serves 4
– 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, or water (for sautéing) If you don’t care about keeping it vegan you can also use chicken broth.
– 1/2 white onion, chopped
– 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped
– 1 apple, chopped (I left the skin on)
– 1.5 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
– 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 1/2 teaspoon dry turmeric
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
– black cracked pepper, to taste
– 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
– 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (you can also use coconut milk if you prefer)
– fresh squeezes juice from 1/2 lemon
– 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (I substituted maple syrup for dark agave nectar)
How to cook up good things!
– In a soup pot, heat the veggie broth (or water) on medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes in 1/2 cup or broth.
– Add in the chopped carrots, apple and ginger. ( I peeled and cubed my ginger but you can also grate it) Cook for about 5 minutes.
– Add in the butternut squash, sea salt, turmeric, thyme, cinnamon and pepper.
Mix well and cook another 5 minutes until it begins to soften.
– Pour in the remaining broth and almond milk. – Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover, Simmering for about 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are soft.
– Turn off heat and stir in the fresh lemon juice and maple syrup.
– Using a hand blender (immersion blender) pureé the soup until smooth and creamy. (I opted to use my nutribullet and it worked great!) You can also use a regular blender but be careful! Be sure to let out the hot air from the top to prevent a soup explosion haha.
– Taste test and add more salt or extra spices for taste preference.
– Garnish with fresh apple, raisins, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflowers seeds or pecans! Anything that reminds you Fall!
– Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Also Freezes well.